Wrought Iron Fence Grant
This grant has been established in order to improve the appearance and quality of neighborhoods throughout the City of Emeryville. The program provides property owners the assistance to convert non-conforming wood or chain link fences into decorative fences or for initial installation of a decorative fence. To learn more, read the Program Booklet
or view before and after photos
- The property to be assisted can be any residential property. The work to be performed includes the removal and disposal of existing non-conforming fencing in the front yard setback area. Rear or side yard fencing is also available where the yard abuts a street. The fencing shall be replaced with wrought iron or wood fencing for front yards. Wood fences may also be permitted for side or rear yards where the property abuts a street or alley. Initial installation is also permitted.
- Fencing must meet setback and height requirements as determined by the Planning Department. Front yard fencing can be a maximum of 4.5 feet high as long as it is 90% open. Solid fencing, or fencing less than 90% open, is limited to a maximum of 3' in height.
- Fence installations must first be approved by the Economic Development Department. Participants must fill out an application to receive approval. Payments will be made directly to the contractor.
- No employee of the program or person who exercises any function or responsibility in connection with policies or administration of the program is eligible for assistance or may have any interest, direct or indirect, in the proceeds of a grant.
- A property shall receive only one Wrought Iron Fence Grant. The maximum amount is $6,000. This grant may be used in conjunction with the Concrete Buyback Grant. Use of both grants is not to exceed $15,000.
- For large, multi-family residential properties, the maximum amount of the grant is $20,000. If additional funding is needed, a 3% simple interest, 15-year term loan can be requested up to a maximum of $20,000. Financial information as well as a credit check will be required for the loan.
Technical assistance provided may include property inspections to determine fence placement, selection of contractor(s), approval and disbursement of all contractor payments, and inspection of completed work.