Prior to its dissolution, the Emeryville Redevelopment Agency (“Agency”) purchased 3706 San Pablo Avenue and 1025 West MacArthur Boulevard and assembled the two sites as a 1.2 acre parcel for an affordable housing development. At the time, the 3706 San Pablo site (the “property”) was improved with three blighted buildings (former Golden Gate Lock and Key), which were targets of vandalism, dumping, graffiti and trespassing. On August 16, 2011, the City Council adopted Resolution 11-180, finding that the demolition of the buildings was in the best interest of the public health, welfare or safety. On September 6, 2011, the demolition contract was awarded to Evans Brothers and on July 17, 2012, the Council accepted the demolition as complete.
On October 15, 2013, the City Council selected EAH Housing, Inc via a Request for Qualifications/Proposals (RFQ/P) process for redevelopment of the site as a 100% affordable family housing project.
On January 22, 2015 the Planning Commission approved a Conditional Use Permit and Design Review for an 87-unit affordable housing development with 6,900 square feet of commercial space and 115 parking spaces in a six story structure on a site of approximately 1.12 acres on the east side of San Pablo Avenue between 37th Street and West MacArthur Boulevard. The site is partially in Oakland, and the City of Oakland agreed that Emeryville take the lead on all planning and building permits. For a copy of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the cities of Emeryville and Oakland click here.