The sun produces an abundance of free, clean, renewable energy. In fact, in just one hour, the sun generates more energy than the entire world uses in a year. Solar power harnesses this energy. Increasing the amount of clean renewable energy is a critical component of Emeryville community efforts to reduce greenhouse gases and grow the green economy.
Reduce before you produce. The first step in any solar energy installation is to implement conservation measures to reduce energy use. Conservation reduces expenses, greenhouse gas emissions, and minimizes the size of your solar PV or solar thermal system.
SunShares solar bulk purchase: SunShares offers solar bulk purchasing and electric vehicle discounts to Bay Area residents. Sunshares pools the buying power of residents, vets the contractors, and offers free, third-party technical advice. For more information, see www.bayareasunshares.org.
Is solar right for your building? See what your options are in the SmartSolar Marketplace. Get a quick personalized estimate of your solar potential and compare side-by-side contractor quotes. Choose the best solar solution for you. The SmartSolar Program is operated by the local nonprofit Community Energy Services Corporation (CESC).
Solar for income-qualified homeowners: Through a partnership with GRID Alternatives, a limited number of low-income Emeryville homeowners can get low-to-no cost solar on their rooftops. Low-income households interested in qualifying for this solar program can visit www.gridalternatives.org/qualify.
Financing: PACE Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) financing allows property owners to borrow money to pay for renewable-energy systems and/or energy efficiency improvements and spread the cost of the upgrade over a period of time.
- SmartSolar provides a free online assessments of solar potential
- Solar Thermal Hot Water describes which permits are required to install solar thermal
- PACE provides financing for solar and energy efficiency upgrades
- California Solar Initiative has a database to find solar installers
- Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency lists federal, state and local tax rebates and incentives
- Step-by-Step Guide to Shared Solar for Apartments
- Step-by-Step Guide to Shared Solar for Condos
- Virtual Net Metering Contractor Toolkit